Volunteer Projects South Africa
Volunteer Projects IndiaView All Projects
Internship LocationsView All Internships
Community Development Projects in Cape Town, South Africa
Duration: 3 weeks, 5 weeks, 3 months or 5 months
Priced from: £995
Spend your Gap Year with Be the Change Worldwide caring for local community children, many of whom are orphans, in the capacity of a care worker volunteer. Volunteers will be assisting enthusiastic under-resourced children in local community schools, crèches and orphanages by working alongside care workers and teachers in Cape Town, South Africa.
Community Development Projects in Cape Town, South Africa
Be the Change Worldwide Gap Year projects contribute to social and economic development and address priority areas such as moral regeneration and social cohesion. This is achieved through our volunteers engaging with the local community and providing essential life skills through education to children. Additional activities include assisting in the delivery of environmental awareness programmes, contributing to the vegetable gardening / school nutrition programme, HIV AIDS awareness programme, refurbishment of community buildings and assisting after school activities.
As a Be the Change Worldwide volunteer you will be assisting local community in the capacity of an assistant care worker to existing initiatives as well as having an opportunity to plan, arrange and deliver additional after school activities for community children and orphans. Your presences will assist in providing greater individual attention and encouragement to all children as well as assisting those children who may require additional time and lessons.
Volunteers are encouraged to facilitate additional educational activities such as painting, designing posters, extra reading and fun games. You will also contribute to the improvement of the facilities through cleaning, maintaining and refurbishment.
It is not a prerequisite for Be the Change Worldwide volunteers to have any prior care work experience or qualifications for our care work projects but enthusiasm and passion to help others is essential.
Be the Change Worldwide Gap Year care work projects encourage school children to realize the importance of education as a foundation for life and are aimed primarily at previously disadvantaged groups, communities and individuals with a strong developmental approach.
Our community Gap Year care work projects contribute towards transformation whilst removing potential access barriers such as cost, elitism, race and gender. The intended beneficiaries of our care work projects are young people who have inherently been afforded very little exceptional opportunity.
Your Role as a Volunteer
During your Be the Change Worldwide Gap Year care work project you will be caring for children at under-resourced schools, crèches and orphanages in a local community. Through your care work and energetic presence at our partner school, crèche and orphanage you will be adding immense value to the lives of under-resourced school children. You will be working alongside care workers and teachers from the community with an opportunity to learn a great deal from their experiences. Community care workers and teachers will also benefit a great deal from your experiences.
In addition to your Be the Change Worldwide Gap Year care work project you will have the choice of including education and teaching, performing arts, HIV/AIDS awareness, environmental awareness and/or sports coaching experience in your project.
Be the Change Worldwide seeks individuals that are passionate and energetic with an enthusiasm for an adventure of a lifetime. If you are a post-school or post-university gap year student, a university undergraduate or postgraduate, or a career breaker, our projects are ideally suited for you. Our excellent care work projects are also tailored for qualifying and qualified students. Volunteers must be 17 years of age and above.
Donation of Educational Resources
Be the Change Worldwide, with the help of our Gap Year volunteers, also contributes towards educational resources, various teaching aides and the continuous renovation of facilities enhancing the educational environment for the children. Our under-resourced partner school, crèche and orphanage certainly do welcome any additional contributions or resources.
You will be based in the South African coastal city of Cape Town, also often referred to as the Mother City. Cape Town is widely regarded as one of the most beautiful cities in the world. The impressive presence of the world renowned Table Mountain stands proudly above the city of Cape Town. Beautiful white sandy beaches along a peaceful coastline frame the Cape Peninsula, which is famed for its unique floral kingdom, bountiful rivers, vleis and dams and magnificent countryside. The surrounding area extends far into the winelands, green in summer and red-gold in autumn. Cape Town is a city of culture, built on a history that reflects in the architecture, cuisine, music and dance. Together with a warm summer and temperate winter climate and a friendly community, Cape Town is an ideal Gap Year destination throughout the year. Situated 10 hours from the majority of gap year world traveller destinations, Be the Change Worldwide is an ideal stop on your global adventure travel. Please click here to visit our destination page to learn more about Cape Town, South Africa.
Accommodation, Food and Transport
You are hosted by the Team of Be the Change Worldwide in our comfortable fully furnished house along with all our volunteers. The volunteer house is a very safe and friendly environment within Fish Hoek, a coastal village lying in a valley at the mouth of the Silvermine River, on the False Bay side of the Cape Peninsula.
Our volunteers stay in dormitory style accommodation with communal bathrooms. The house facilities include satellite television, broadband internet access and a swimming pool The house is located a short distance from the golden beaches of the magnificent Indian Ocean and conveniently situated within walking distance to a wide range of amenities for all your additional needs.
During the week, Mondays to Fridays, volunteers have all their meals prepared for them by our local team. Meals are not included on Saturdays and Sundays, as experience has taught us that most volunteers tend to explore Cape Town during weekends. Volunteers either purchase and prepare their own meals on weekends or often choose to eat out at local restaurants. Our kitchen is superbly equipped and local supermarkets and restaurants are within walking distance from the volunteer house.
On arrival at Cape Town International Airport you will be welcomed by our Be the Change Worldwide Team and be transferred from the airport to the volunteer house. All daily transport to and from the projects is provided.
The volunteer group excursions are selected from a wide variety of exciting activities based in Cape Town. Volunteer group excursions are selected in advance by the Be the Change Worldwide team and are subject to change. The volunteer group excursions are selected from a host of exciting activities such as:
- Explore Cape Point where the cold Benguela and warm Agulhus currents merge
- Venture up Cape Town's magnificent Table Mountain via Cable Car
- Spend a day exploring all the attractions at the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront
- Visit the magnificent two oceans aquarium
- Snorkel or freedive with Cape fur seals in the exquisite oceans of Cape Town
- Enjoy learning to surf or surfing the waves of Cape Town
The table below indicates the number of group excursions selected from a wide variety of exciting activities that are included as part of your project fee:
|Project Duration||Number of group excursions included in your project fee|
|3 Weeks||One group excursion included as part of your project fee|
|5 Weeks||Two group excursions included as part of your project fee|
|3 Months||Four group excursions included as part of your project fee|
|5 Months||Six group excursions included as part of your project fee|
Volunteers will have free time on weekends to explore all Cape Town has to offer. Our team will inform you of all the amazing attractions available to you in and around Cape Town. If volunteers choose to experience any additional excursions above those stipulated as group excursions, these excursions will be at the volunteers own cost. Types of additional excursions available to volunteers include:
- Journey on a Township Tour into a vibrant world of colour
- Shark Cage Diving with Great White Sharks
- Scuba dive at the Two Oceans Aquarium
- Abseiling down Table Mountain
- Specialised guided wine region tours
- Robben Island Museum Tour
- Penguin Sea Kayak Trail Simon's Town
- Tandem skydive
- Visit the Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens
- Hike up Table Mountain and cable car down
- View the magnificent penguins at Boulders
- Explore the World of Birds wildlife sanctuary and monkey park
- View the African Big Five on a one day safari tour
What Is Included In Your Chosen Project?
Prior to your departure:
- Expert advice on selecting your most suitable project
- Travel assistance from our specialist Partners
- Valuable ideas and assistance for your fundraising campaign
- An open line of communication to our friendly and informative team
- Our informative Project Pack including all relevant contact details
During your project in South Africa:
- On arrival at Cape Town Airport you will be welcomed by our South African Team
- Transfer from the airport to the volunteer house
- Accommodation in the volunteer house in Cape Town
- Meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) Monday to Friday
- 24/7 assistance from our Be the Change Worldwide Team
- Project induction and training prior to the commencement of your project
- Management of your project delivery
- All daily transport to and from your project
- A selection of exciting volunteer group excursions and social events
- 24/7 emergency support from our Be the Change Worldwide UK Team
- A portion of your funding donated to your projects local community
- A chance to play sports for clubs in South Africa (terms and conditions apply)
- An opportunity to learn to surf and/or gain certificates in Scuba Diving (terms and conditions apply)
- Experience a new and vibrant culture
What Is Not Included In Your Chosen Project?
- Saturday and Sunday meals (volunteers tend to explore Cape Town on weekends)
- Visas (if applicable)
- Travel Insurance
- Spending money
- Additional excursions and travel
Connect with us
Latest Blog Post
We took a trip down to Hout Bay in Cape Town for our first ocean adventure outing with hundreds of playful seals.Continue Reading